Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Half Marathon

Back in June Dani and I set a summer goal to compete in a half marathon. We trained all summer-long, running between 3-5 times/week. Each week consisted of an uphill run, intervals (800m or mile repeats), a recovery run, and a weekend long run. The week of our race found each of us a little sick and Dani was recovering from hive outbreaks on back-to-back nights. We went ahead with the race just feeling moderately good. It was my first half-marathon.
The race was Saturday, August 8th in Provo. It began up South Fork canyon, passed Vivian and Nuns parks, and ended at the Riverwood shopping mall. I was happy to finish without cramps or throwing up, despite both nearly coming on for the last 5K. Miraculously, I felt sustained with energy the whole way into the finish (at 1:21). I was able to still jog back and find Ali, my sister, run with her in, then find Dani, and do the same. Ali had a PR and Dani ran well too. I was proud of both of them. We had a fun weekend and a tough, but satisfying race.

No comments: